Thursday, August 25, 2016

The Playground

        Today as I was waiting in a school line, I was in the line near the playground. I was watching all of these little innocent children running, jumping, playing and laughing with their friends. They didn't appear to have a care in the world. I sat there staring aimlessly at them thinking, "some of those sweet babies will end up making horrible choices and their paths will drastically change." That is absolutely heartbreaking. Statistically 1 out of 4 of them will suffer from addiction in their lifetime and will begin using drugs between the age of 15-18 years old. Those statistics are spot on. Exactly. Our life in a nutshell. My family is among those statistics. Statistics that I would have never paid attention to, never thought about, and never dreamed would become an interesting topic or passion in my life. I felt as every other parent does..."It won't happen to MY child."

       When I was a young mom, I had no idea that my children would face the types of temptations that are in the world today. I had no idea that my sweet, blonde, happy girl would someday become a drug addict. She played on that same playground I saw today. She was one of those same happy little children, running around with her friends. Oh how I wish I had the knowledge back then that I have now. Oh how I wish.  Sometimes I feel so frustrated with other parents that continue to fail to see the signs, or don't act on them when they do see them. I feel like I am screaming into a well at times and only hearing my own voice echoing back at me. Sometimes I feel like a broken record. Sometimes I feel that no one is listening. Other times, I feel that everyone is listening and I have no answers. I wish I had more answers for those who do need help when they do reach out to me.

       As this new school year begins, I challenge you to pay more attention. I challenge you to lock up your medications. I challenge you to pay attention to who they are hanging around with, who they associate with online and I challenge you to dispose of your prescription drugs. I challenge you to NOT let your kids spend the night at the house that "their parents say it's OK to smoke pot" and "stay out all night" and I challenge you to become pro-active in PREVENTING your child from becoming a statistic. I challenge you to get active in your child's school district and if your school doesn't have a student organization such as "Students Against Destructive Decisions" like Joplin has---that YOU start one at your school. I challenge YOU to be the proactive force that helps bring more awareness to your own child's playground.

      The playground should be a happy place, free from danger. The playground is where they start to learn to pick their battles. The playground is the place where friends are made, lessons are learned and it is where their personalities start to ascend. When the playground starts changing into sporting events, dances, driving, and other teen activities, then your control starts to diminish and your child must make choices in your absence. Start planting that seed now. Start teaching about choices and making good ones. It is never too early.

      Let's all protect our children's playgrounds and make them safer for everyone's child. I challenge you. Whether it's your school, your yard, the skating rink, the gym...whatever the arena your child is playing, be aware of the surroundings and their playmates. Take the precautions to protect them now so they can protect themselves later so they don't become a statistic. It CAN happen to your child. It WILL happen to someone's. Will you look the other way or will you try to make a difference?





     

     

2 comments: