Sunday, September 11, 2016

The Gala...6 months Clean...and Let's Get You Help NOW

I got the honor to speak at the Primrose Hill Teen Challenge Gala held in Columbia this past Thursday. I have been speaking in front of various groups locally and don't usually have a script or ever feel particularly nervous. This event made me nervous because I have not spoken with Addi present. Also, my husband, sister, mother, step mom and husband and a dear family friend, Janeene were there. I was nervous about crying in front of 250 people but even more nervous about making Addi cry. My husband is so encouraging of my mission in drug awareness. The whole way to Columbia I was writing a timeline and making various notes to myself of points I wanted to make. I would try to rehearse and get even more nervous. He said, "Steph...speak from your heart. This is our life and you know it by heart. Just tell her story." He was right. As I stood up to speak, I felt comfortable. My voice cracked several times but my 5 minutes of allotted time ended up being ten and I found the words I wanted and needed to say.

The thing I have learned the most in the last 6 months is that everything is within a plan of a whole lot larger plan than any notes I make or anything I personally say or do. I am a small little speck in this world with a whole lot of problems, but also a world with a whole lot of people who care about virtual strangers. The amount of people who have supported my family with encouragement, kind words, cards, hugs and messages has been a source of strength to me. I may not be able to thank all of you enough in my lifetime, but your kindness to my family means so much to us. The thing that struck me at the Gala was that there are so many people who love my daughter and are feeding her soul, giving her confidence, showing her love and support and helping her rise up from the hell she was sinking so deep into just 6 months ago. They didn't know her but they welcomed her and they didn't judge her--they accepted her. There are so many places that are out there just like Primrose Teen Challenge who are willing to help your son or daughter too. There are so many places that can help YOU if you seek it.

I know the idea of entering a 12 month program is scary for some. I also know that the last 6 months has flown by and in 6 more months, it terrifies me that she will be back into this world. I love the concept though of her treatment center in that they don't institutionalize their "students." They are called students, not "patients."  They go to the Y to work out; they go grocery shopping; they go to church each Sunday; they go to the pool; they go to plays; they walk in charity walks with Mizzou; they interact in real life, but positive ways of life. It is not nearly as traumatic for a person to enter the real world again if they have been living in it. Yes they have a strict schedule. Yes, they are strong in their Assembly of God faith and yes, they require you to learn about the Bible. They teach women to be mother's, they teach young women to respect their bodies again and they teach a woman to heal themselves from the inside out.

I was so happy that my sister, stepmom and her husband got to tour the home the next day. My stepmom's husband is a man who is kind, but quiet and definitely a strong man. After the tour of the house and a lot of hugs from Addi, they were getting ready to leave. They both had tears in their eyes. I said to my stepmom's husband (or Addi's Poppy, I should say), "I try not to get too excited but I am cautiously optimistic." He said "I went from no faith to a whole lot in about 30 minutes." THAT is the kind of place Primrose is and the impact it has had on all of us. It has a peaceful, healing, loving and welcoming feeling that is indescribable unless you see it. We were all pretty moved from the last 24 hours of the gala, hearing the stories of the girls who live there and seeing all the support they had at such a nice event.

Now, let's focus on YOU...

I challenge all of you who need help to find the place that is calling YOUR name. I challenge you to find a facility that will heal you from the inside out and give you the time to truly find yourself and forgive yourself. There are many places in this nation that can give you that same love and same help. Although 12 months seems scary--your death of an overdose is permanent. Each day that you put a needle in your arm, take a hit of drugs or stray further from accepting that you need help--the closer you are to death. Only YOU can take that first step to find help. Only YOU can make the decision that this is no longer the life you want to live.

Stop and visualize a life free of chains, free of chasing the drugs, free of the daily fear of being dope sick. Picture yourself being the type of son, daughter, mother, father, sister, brother that your family deserves. Close your eyes and remember the days before you tried drugs to mask your pain or whatever reason you began. Take the step to change your life today, whether it is by getting online and emailing a Teen Challenge that fits your needs; contacting Freedom Christian Church in Aurora; by contacting The Road Recovery in Webb City; or God's Army; or Ascent Recovery in Joplin; or walking into Impact Life Church and telling Howie you need help; or walk into Carterville Christian Church and talk to Robin Sigars; or walk into Christ Church of Oronogo who has many people willing to help you...or any church in any town in this nation, whether you live in Southwest Missouri or Minnesota--wherever you are, there are people willing to help you.  If you are a teen, contact Children's Division and they will find you a program or even the juvenile office. They don't want to take your life away. They don't want to put you in a home. They want to help people who want to get help and change their lives. They are there to help you, not for you to fear them. There is an avenue and place to get you help if you want it. I promise you, life can be beautiful and you are worth it.

Today can be the day that you start your journey. Do it.




3 comments:

  1. Alcoholism is a medical terminology which we use for habit of alcohol intake. It gives psychological issues with alcoholics and leaving many physical problems too. http://www.medicalterminology.co/types-of-addictions/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie I had no idea the struggles you were facing. God bless your family.

    ReplyDelete