Wednesday, October 19, 2016

PARENTS, YOU ARE NOT LISTENING

I've been pounding the message "LOCK UP YOUR MEDICATION."  "Oh, I will do that."  "Yes, that is a good idea."  "I should do that."  "I am going to do that RIGHT NOW." Those are the responses I typically get. The lightbulb goes on and then we depart ways and then guess what? Parents forget our conversation. 

How many benzos are in your home? Klonopin? Xanax?  Yes, they will take those. Lock them up.

How about sleep medication? Over the counter and prescription? Yes, they will use those. Lock them up.

Do you have muscle relaxers? Yes, they will use them. Lock them up.

What about Valium? Yes, they will use it. Lock it up.

If you aren't locking them up, do you keep track of how much you have? Or were you like me, and shoved them in a cabinet and thought nothing of it. 

Do you have pain medication? Because 85% of your local kids say that you do. 

You know what else those kids are saying in my survey results? They are saying YOU DO NOT lock up your medication.

You know what else they are saying?  PAIN PILLS are the most commonly used drugs abused by teens (90% of them stated that) and that pain pills are the EASIEST to obtain. 

DO YOUR JOB, PARENTS. DO IT FOR YOUR KIDS, AND EVERYONE ELSE'S. 

Learn from the mistakes I made. Don't assume "my child would never do that."  Don't take a chance. Don't even give them the opportunity, or their friends the opportunity. Treat your meds like a firearm. Take care of them, lock them up...because they are a loaded weapon and they can kill your child. 

MIND YOUR MEDS. 

LOCK UP YOUR PRESCRIPTION DRUGS.



No comments:

Post a Comment