Sunday, October 23, 2016

Senator Blunt's Discussion with the "Real Expert"

Addi and I had the privilege to attend a round table discussion in Jefferson City about drug abuse and issues in Missouri. We were invited by Senator Blunt.

Addi, Susie, the director for Primrose Hill (the treatment residence Addi resides) and myself all attended. The three of us met early for lunch because we were pretty nervous. We weren't sure what exactly to expect or who would be there. After lunch, we arrived at the Act Missouri office, about 20 minutes early. Already seated, were two ladies. One who works with drug and mental health programs. One from Jeff City and one from St. Louis. They were very intelligent women who obviously know their statistics and likely attend round table discussions more than we do. Others who attended, were the Osage County Prosecutor (who she reminded me of someone from LA Law, very sassy, smart and well spoken); and the Prosecutor from Cape Girardeau, also well spoken man who expressed the drug problems his county was having. Then we had a gentleman from a Missouri Drug Task Force who indicated his county had suffered SIX overdoses in the past 5 days, with 2 of them being fatal. His county is suffering tremendously due to heroin. Another gentleman named Bean, spoke about the youth home for boys that he works, which provides residential drug treatment. He stated that they are so overcrowded, they are having to keep a waiting list. Tragic. We need more residential long term programs.

As we made our way around the table, discussing the various problems per county and our concerns as community members, we all introduced ourselves and stated our main interest or topic. Susie spoke about Teen Challenge and the way they instill work ethic in the girls, to help with their self worth, confidence and ability to learn responsibility. This is such an important tool that is forgotten when someone is deep in addiction. She talked about Teen Challenge being a faith based treatment center and the girls study the Bible and do prayer groups and attend church together and focus on healing from the inside out. She talked about the importance of abstinence in recovery.

Next up was Addison---she first quietly said "My name is Addi. Addison Daniel...I'm not sure what else to say..."  I thought, "Well, she is done"...then all of a sudden, she just started talking and talking and talking. She told the panel that she had tried 9 rehab facilities before and each time they gave her drugs to get off drugs and she failed each time. She said she has been clean going on her 8th month now, and JUST NOW she is starting to feel real feelings. She said it is imperative that treatment is longer, more structured and drug free---that we are going about treatment in America the wrong way and it is creating more addiction. She went on to tell her own story and painful parts that she had never discussed before. Parts that I wasn't even sure she would ever talk about.  I was sitting there in awe of her. Here we were---in a room full of educated, powerful, intelligent people, elected officials, news media, a United States Senator and his staff ---and my daughter started singing like a beautiful bird. She felt confident in that room to tell the truth because she knew those were the people who needed to hear her side, her view, and to hear about what works and what doesn't. When she finished...they applauded.  So did I. It gave me chills. I was beaming with pride.

She also brought a letter she had written to Senator Blunt back in 1998 (when he was a US Representative) that said, "Dear Mr. Blunt: Thank you for coming to our school." When she was 8 years old, he read to her class. I took a picture of them holding it. I thought "How ironic--who knew back then that my little blue eyed, blonde haired, innocent sweet girl, would become a heroin addict. Who knew that 18 years later---their paths would cross again and that it would be him listening to her." He gave her a hug after the forum finished and told her that they needed to keep the conversation going, and that testimony from real stories and people like her, is the best advice he can receive.

We just never know why our lives turn in the ways that they do sometimes, but I saw glimpses of my little college Republican girl, who has already voted absentee, by the way. She always loved politics and to see her interest renewed, showed me that she is truly returning back into our old Addi that she was before drugs overtook her life.  I felt like her impact on that room was something no one else could have offered. She lived it. She's gone through it all. She was the real expert that day.

She made me proud. Each month she gets stronger. Each month I see my real daughter and each month I have a little more faith that this may be the reason she was created---to change the lives of others.

Yay, Ms. Addison-- you are smart, you are a fighter and I know you are going to help be an outspoken survivor who champions for others.  I'm so proud of you.




1 comment:



  1. Hi admin,

    I read your blog, Its really awesome, I have also a blog which is related with you, which is about anxiety attack symptoms.
    It is not even easy to define exact anxiety attacks symptoms.
    The Association then gave a list of symptoms.
    anxiety attack symptoms
    Thanks,

    imran

    ReplyDelete