Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Give Your Family the Best Gift...YOU

Sadly, my email is overflowing with people hurting right now. The holidays are difficult, especially for those dealing with addiction, depression and grief. I find myself running out of good advice, because no matter what my advice may be--I know it is hard to put that advice into action, when dealing with a loved one. For that reason, I'm blogging this message to the one who needs help, the one who hasn't reached out to me, but their family members have. Yes, I'm talking to YOU.

Listen, I know that it is hard to take that first step to get help. I understand that the fear of sickness can be so crippling, that often times, people are not willing to go through it. I realize that the first step is the very hardest. Truthfully, I have no idea what it feels like to get "dope sick" but I have watched my daughter live it. I know it is hell.

Let me tell you what else is hell. Going to bed at night wondering if your child is alive or dead is hell. Trying to function during the Christmas season, knowing your loved one may be sitting somewhere in a room full of people who could care less about their life...is hell. Knowing that their next "hit" can kill them and you are completely powerless to stop them---that is hell. Trying to decide whether or not you should buy them Christmas gifts because they will pawn them, is also hard on a family member. The guilt when you decide not to buy them gifts, and offer a meal and time instead is awful. You wonder if they realize you love them at all. You wonder if you are doing the right thing. You worry that they aren't getting a holiday dinner. You worry, worry, worry and the holidays become so depressing that you begin to ruin it for your entire family. I found myself praying that the holidays would "hurry up and go away" and completely losing sight of all joy of the season. That was unfair to my family and unfair to me.

Your life is priceless. Your family needs you. There are many parents, siblings, friends, loved ones who won't get the chance to tell their family member that they want them home for Christmas this year. Drugs have already taken them from this earth. Don't let that happen to you. Do not become another statistic in this war. People care. People love you. People will help. If you feel lost and need help, please seek it. If you need detox, walk into a hospital and tell them. I promise you, if you will fight for your life---others will step up and fight with you. Take that step. Listen to the voice in your head telling you that you need help.

Give your family the best gift you can give---and that is a healthy, clean, sober YOU. Do it for your family and do it for yourself.


2 comments:

  1. Prayer is powerful and my prayer is for peace for all those suffering. Peace covers everything and that friends is my prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ready to get your health and life back on track? Don’t wait any longer. Start your recovery journey today. alcohol addiction treatment , alcohol treatment centers

    ReplyDelete