Monday, April 25, 2016

48 Days and Circles

Well, we are on our 48th day of sobriety for my daughter today. She said she has felt fantastic and is so happy. She truly sounds happy. She is in a treatment where they do go on outings to the store, to public places, to church, to fundraisers, etc. and I think it helps in a sense because it doesn't feel like an institution, it feels like a family. I'm not suggesting that option is for everyone because there were times in the past 5 years that if she were given even the ability to see blue sky at a treatment facility, she probably would have ran for her life. She is just at a different phase of her addiction and at this point and time in her life, she says she is done with drugs. I pray it is true and I hope it is true and I have a wee bit of faith that it is true--but my feelings mean nothing in the grand scheme of life. It is all in her hands and I leave her in God's hands.

I've talked so much lately about faith, God, prayer and with every stroke, my words are being banned from school's being able to use my blog due to the religious aspect, which is a real frustrating thing, but the miracles that have happened to lead us to this point, are so large and so evident, that I cannot ignore them. I cannot ignore that prayer has gotten me through this more than any other coping mechanism. I cannot ignore the fact that her prayers have been answered in so many ways. I cannot ignore the fact that in my darkest hour, I had so many faithful servants praying for a miracle and that miracle happened. I really did not believe my daughter would live to see her next birthday and she turned 26 last week. She turned 26 in a house full of women that I ordered pizza for and you would have thought I bought them dinner at the finest steakhouse. They were so excited and so appreciative. Her body is healing. Her heart is healing and her mind is healing. Best birthday gift ever.

Not ONE time has she called home for her weekly call and asked about an old boyfriend, ex boyfriend, etc., which is a first and it is evident there isn't one on her mind. The only fellas she inquires about are her brother's. Not once has she even asked about Joplin, Missouri. Not once. She asks about her family. She asks about my job. She asks about the things that truly should matter in her life. She tells me about her days, about her lessons, about the things she is learning about herself. She tells me about all the cards and letters she gets from people that love her and they mean so much to her. I tell people she cannot write them back, but they continue to show her love and support and she feels that support. I don't let everyone write her that asks, obviously nor would everyone that wrote her be delivered to her. Her supervisors watch closely and they talk about things before they let her read them and they keep her circle of contact very small. Right now she only has contact with her immediate family--which is awesome, actually. Her circle is small and as time grows, her circle will grow. At some point she will have to carefully select who she lets back into her circle...a great deal from her past will need to stay out of her circle to keep her circle moving in the right direction. 

Circles are hard to break. At times, our circles can be chains that lead us in the same direction and same mistakes over and over and over. I can remember a time in my life that my circle had some people in it that created constant drama, police involvement, etc...which is not normal, by the way. If you friends are getting regular visits from the police--chances are, your circle needs to change. 

I have watched from afar, her old circle of friends that  she loved who have stayed in their tight circle and all of them are getting married, having babies, just having beautiful lives and intertwining their circles together and making new ones---but she fell out of that circle and into a new one, so her circle changed. Your circle of friends define you, mold you, influence you and sometimes ruin you. I look around at my closest circle of friends and its small. I admit I have lots of friends but the circle I confide in or cry to, or that know my deepest darkest secrets is very small. It may seem to you that I have one huge circle because of my blog--and I do consider all of you part of a certain part of my circle but I also have a part of my life that I am fiercely protective and don't allow anyone near that circle.

I've watched several of the young men and women we know who are struggling with addiction continue to run into these circles of drugs, stealing, lies, and even death and their circles continue to keep going around and around and around with the same result. Arrested. Bailed Out. Robbery. Arrested. Bailed Out. Friend Dies. Arrested. Robbery. Bailed Out. Arrested. I just want to reach into their circle and stand up and yell "STOP!" Do they not see the circle is leading nowhere?  Do they not see that their circle is in a constant spiral of madness? Are they not getting dizzy of seeing the same thing over and over and over? 

Your circle of friends should never be telling you to "try this line of meth" or "Sneak out tonight and lets go smoke dope" or "Grab that pair of jeans off the rack--no one will know." Friends don't do that to their friends. in my 45 years of life, I have never had a friend ask me to steal anything, let alone, steal something daily. If that is your circle---it's time to find a new one. It's time to step out of the circle and stand alone. It's time to look behind you and in front of you in your circle and if they aren't moving and progressing with life--then that isn't the circle you should be in. Circles change. Circles grow. Circles add new circles when life is healthy. Your circle should never be an unending ring of trouble.

Break out of your circle. Put a circle around yourself for awhile and if you can't find the strength to do it, stand up and say "I need help" and let your family circle around you. Let them guard your circle until you can guard it yourself. Reach out to me even, I'm ballsy. I will snatch you right out of that circle if you want me to. I promise you, there are ways out of the circle. 

Tonight, let's all pray for those stuck in a bad circle. Let's not gossip about them, or judge them and especially not judge their parents. As parents we do the best we can. We try so hard to keep our children in good circles but at some point, our kids start moving into their own choices, own circles, and then have to deal with the consequences. Take a look at your circle right now. If you can't trust your circle, if your circle is negatively influencing you, if your circle is not leading you into a positive direction....STOP. The circle stops with you. 




3 comments:

  1. Beautiful words Stephanie. Do you mind me sharing them with the teens at my church/work (The Salvation Army).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete