Monday, April 18, 2016

The Awakening--Part 2

So, the day after she arrived at the Newton County Jail, I slept like a rock. I slept better than I had in months. I knew she was safe.

I need to go back to the day of the arrest. They were arrested at a motel. Every belonging my daughter had left was in that motel room. I went to the motel to pick it up and I was hotter than hot angry. God bless the girl working the front desk. I had smoke of rage billowing out of my nostrils. I said,  "My daughter was just arrested. I would like to retrieve her belongings. She has nothing left and she is going to need them." The lady told me that the room was not in either of their names so she would need to call the person who had reserved it. This got me very intrigued and even more irritated. "Who the heck was renting a motel room for these two drug addicts??"  She got a voicemail--but I recognized the name of the person they said the message was for--it was her boyfriend's mother. I got even more hacked. I said "When you get in touch with HERRRR -PLEASE ALSO TELL HERRR THAT SHE IS AN ENABLER!!!!" I was awful. Awful awful awful. The clerk was very sweet and assured me that she would give her my phone number and tell her to call me.

So, I left empty handed and went back to work. It was not easy to concentrate. When I got home that night, I found his mom and sister on social media and sent them a message to let them know that they had been arrested and the car they were driving was still there. I had no idea how they were driving a brand new Jetta, but it was a rental. I also let them know their belongings were there and who knew what kind of people had access. I figured we would never see any of her remaining items of clothing again.  She gave me her number and we talked--and talked--and talked. She headed to get their things and later we met to do the exchange. In this moment, I felt a kinship, bond and instant friendship. She was me. She was dealing with the same hell. Basically everything they had told both of us was a lie--and she paid for their room for two nights, just so he wouldn't lose a job he had just started in town. She said something though that has stayed with me. She said "Addi doesn't want to be this way. I could feel it in her. I am praying she sees the light and finds her way." I thought, "Wow. How can this woman give two cents about my daughter? She did, though. She meant it.

So a week passes and Addi is on antibiotics for her staph, she is starting to heal up--Sheriff allowed her to be removed from the suicide suit. She would later tell me that vomiting and diarrhea in "the pickle suit" may have made her detox even more miserable but even more unforgettable. She would try to get comfortable and put a blanket over her head and a voice would say "REMOVE THE BLANKET FROM YOUR FACE NOW!" When she told me these stories 23 days later, I didn't feel one bit of pity for her. Not a drop. I was glad that she went through it, survived it and hopefully never wanted to experience it again.

Vicky gave me a list of items she could have in jail, now that she was moved into general population, such as 3 white bras, 3 white t shirts, 3 white undies and 3 pair of white socks. I went and bought the items and wrote her name on all of them as instructed and put $10 on her commissary account only because she got a restriction--No phone card purchase allowed. We didn't want her calling any of her "friends" to come get her. As I was dropping off her items, the lady that oversees visitors, the commissary and the white wardrobes, asked if I would be back for visitation. She handed me a sheet with the hours and rules. I put my head down and said "I don't know that I will visit her. I am just too angry and have done all I can. I just don't think I want to see her right now." She told me she laid hands on Addi and prayed for her. She said Addi trembled. She said, "That little girl is in there. I see it in her eyes. Don't give up on her. I will see you on Friday." She was the sweetest woman. She deals with criminals and families every day but took the time to lay her hands and pray for MY DAUGHTER? Wow.

I started  to worry about her arraignment. She was given papers to apply for a public defender. "Nooooooo, this will never work. They will do their job and get her bond reduced. We cant have that." Vicky went  to see her again. She took a lady from her church who is in recovery. She talked to Addi about her life changing and how God has been the reason. They then talked to her about her upcoming court date and she asked Vicky if she would call me to see if my boss, Tina, would represent her. I said "Really, she wants Tina to represent her?"  Tina feels about Addi as a daughter. She was only 9 when I started working for Tina. She has been through every facet of this journey along with me. She wanted her to stay planted in jail too--so I was surprised that Addi would want her, knowing likely that no bond reduction would be filed. I thought, "For someone who knows how to skate the law, that was an stupid move"---but was it??  Maybe she didn't want out. Maybe she knew that getting out would be the death of her. She would later tell me that she wanted Tina because she knew I would be the one working on the file and she knew that she could not be set free because she was certain heroin would he waiting for her.

Day 10, I receive a message from a friend, a classmate of my sister's who works for the Alliance of Southwest Missouri. Come to find out, their office was downstairs from mine. I rarely venture out into the halls of our law office other than to get food for lunch--so have no clue what all is in our building. She wanted to talk to me about joining the alliance on an anti-drug campaign or awareness campaign. I was interested. Very interested. As we sat and talked, I told her Addi was in jail. I told her that I was very stressed and would like to keep her there as long as possible, but at some point a decision would have to be made--drug court, rehab, jail, prison--something. She asked me if I had ever heard of "Teen Challenge." I said "yes, but isn't that for teens? She said "No, it's actually for adults, the name is misleading." We talked about the various programs throughout the country and how successful the program can be if worked. She then told me it was faith based so I immediately cooled the jets. "No way would she go to a faith based treatment. No way. She has refused time and time again, because they won't let them take drugs for drugs. You have to be detoxed, you cannot take Methadone or Suboxone and there is just no way she will go for that. No way."

After she left my office, I got on the computer and searched the locations. I could not locate one in China or would have preferred there or as far away as possible. I knew the prosecutor was going to be meeting with the Judge and Sheriff about her options and I really felt I needed a plan. After all--I always made the plans. I always found the treatment programs. I always verified insurance. I got her there, I did it all, all, all--that was just the way this rehab stint worked between me and Addi. I found it, I connected her, I drove her--she completed 30 days and was sent home on meds and six months, if we were lucky to go that long---we were finding another one. Its been HELL. I decided I'm not doing this. I'm just not. I printed out several packets of treatment facilities...all faith based...and mailed them to her. I wrote her a letter and said "These are the programs that have been referred to me. If you feel any of those will help you, you should fill out the applications. I can't do this for you sis. I just can't do it again. I love you and know you have a mountain to climb--but we will be waiting for you on the other side." I mailed them.

I then talked to the Sheriff and told him about the packets I was sending. He said his reports on her were that she was looking a lot better and doing really well and starting to look like Addi more and more each day. I then told him how stressed I was about trying to find some place for her to go and that I found this faith based one miles and miles away but it was all women and would be very good for her. I found 2 or 3 in fact. I had even called one of the places and felt really good about them. I got a great vibe from a lady named Susie who answered the phone. I had left several messages on several treatment center's phones. I guess in a way I was still micromanaging it all, or trying to--when Sheriff said "Don't stress yourself. The judge won't let her go there any way. Too far away." Ugh. My bubble had burst. I felt deflated. "Now what?" I worried if she had to stay local, she'd never live.

That day I was driving home from work and I got a call from a man of one of the facilities I was leaving messages. I told him I had already talked to Susie, who was so helpful, but that I didn't think the Judge would approve--so it looked to be a no go. He paused, and in the calmest of tones, he said "You know, Stephanie---sometimes God puts obstacles in our lives when we feel we are in control. He puts those obstacles there to show us that we aren't. He shows us that HE is in control." I pulled over my car and cried. I felt this burden just lift from my shoulders. I felt the weight of this decision lifted off my back for the first time EVER. I felt that for the first time ever, I understood that I was not in control.

The next day I was at work and my boss had a trial get cancelled in McDonald County so was heading back with time to spare---I said "Well, you could go visit Addi. The prosecutor needs to talk to you anyway." She said "Ok, I will head there now." She said she went into this little room and there they brought in Addi. She said she wasn't prepared to see the girl who walked in..


No comments:

Post a Comment