Friday, April 15, 2016

I am talking to YOU

So on my Facebook page, I've been sharing pictures of recovering addicts who want to bravely show their fight--and sadly, the faces of loved ones, particularly young loved ones, who died due to drugs. In trying to keep my own feet to the fire, I shared a photo montage of my daughter in her various stages of addiction. I posted it approximately 36 hours ago and it has been viewed by over 200,000 people and shared by 2,000+. Yipes. Yowzers. Holy cow. Did I really do that? She had given me permission several weeks ago, but tonight she called and I fessed up that "Addi, I did it. I really did post pictures of your back and photos." She said "A pic stitch, Mom? You made me a pic stitch?" I said, "Yup. Pic stitch you are, with your chanter uniform, wrecked car, your back and ah yes--the jail photo." She said "Oh well. It is my life and I hope it helps teach others to never touch it." Me- "Yea, well--about that...it has been viewed over 200,000 times." She didn't even seemed surprised. She seems to understand much better than I do--that addiction is HUGE.

I have tried to respond to every post, every encouraging word but it gets harder each day. Thinking of adding some admins who are actual addiction counselors because some that are writing truly need help and I really am just "a mom with a blog."  Some of the messages I get make me ache. I wish there was more I could do to help these families in crisis. I love the way people are sharing their stories and others are encouraging them. That is sometimes the best therapy--is a kind word or encouragement. Some people just need to vent and I can completely appreciate that as well.

I think the thing that is striking me the most is that some of the followers are people she has tangled her life with and I see their names and think "Are they reading because they need help or is it because they want to ensure I am still blogging rather than plotting their deaths by angry mother?" It is those people I want to address:

Your friends are dying. Your friends have died. STOP. Take a look in the mirror and say "Enough is enough." Seek the help you need-and not from the Methadone Clinic. Talk to some of these wonderful people willing to help you and take it. Do you want to die alone because your low life friends cared more about their habit than you gasping your last breath of life? Is this the legacy you want to leave behind? Stop selling, trading, doing and abusing. Stop now. You are at a crossroads. Many of you are one hit away from death. Look at the faces of those that are gone and think about their families and the hell they live every single day. Ask yourself-- would you want your son or daughter live the life you are??? No, I guarantee you wouldn't. Step up and stop now.

I am talking to YOU. Stop this epidemic by changing the person in the mirror. Learn from the pain of these families.

It starts with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment