Wednesday, February 5, 2014

"Wow" and Education


Wow.

That is really the best word to describe my reaction to YOUR reaction to my first blog.  Google actually breaks down the sources of readers, based on their viewing application or product, such as IPhone, Android, Internet Explorer, etc…and also includes the nation in which the readers were located. In 24 hours, I had over 1000 views in the United States alone. I had viewers in other countries as well. Some such as Japan and Australia, I probably can guess the source and I thank them for opening up my geographical horizons...but the others, I have no clue.  See the results for yourselves:

United States

1006
Australia

2
Indonesia

2
Canada

1
Germany

1
United Kingdom

1
Japan

1
Mexico

1
Qatar

1
Sweden

1

The amount of views of my blog both saddened me, yet flattered me too. I was honored that so many people cared, but then again it saddened me that so many people could relate. I think my awesome, most wonderful husband Chris, summed it up the best. He said, “Stephanie, you are talking about the dirty little secret no one else wants to discuss openly.” That may be very true. Sure, there are the people that read it just because they get some sick satisfaction out of my family’s pain because I have likely crossed their path in an unfavorable way in my life; or they might have curiosity to see who I might take a jab at; or perhaps they too, are living the daily hell we are living but just don’t want to admit it. That’s okay. That is why I am doing this blog, to let those people know they are not alone.

I got messages from people I didn’t know, people that I hadn’t heard from in years and I think my favorite was from my former Math teacher. I was excited to tell her that I am raising an Accounting major. I figured that would really give her more shock value than anything she previously read. I must admit, I didn’t really care for school and thought I was there more for social reasons rather that studying. I regret that now that I’m older. Funny thing is, that my children have always been excellent students. I never had to harp at them about getting their homework done or raising their grades. They both set such high standards for themselves that I didn’t have to hover. In looking back even in high school, my daughter’s grades were still well above average. Her first year of college, she struggled more and then by her sophomore year of college, her grades went into the tank. When her education started to flounder, is when my education about drugs started to flourish.

Thinking about her educational opportunities that were wasted, is not only frustrating to her but also to my husband, my mother and me. All of us have invested money into trying to assist her to getting back on the educational track.  I truly have no doubt that someday she may be a great counselor in the field of addiction. She is smart enough to accomplish anything she wants and I still have faith in that girl.

Education. That is my topic today. How educated are you? I don’t mean in the sense of English, Math, Social Studies, etc. I mean in the sense of “How much do you know about the threats facing our children?”  I was watching the news, like everyone else, and seeing all the stories regarding heroin due to Mr. Hoffman’s death. Did you know heroin could be bought locally, almost as easily as buying a loaf of bread? Did you know heroin is cheaper than a benzodiazepine or a pain pill on the street? Did you know that heroin is becoming the fastest growing drug among young people? Did you know that heroin could make someone an addict after only one shot? Scary, isn’t it? When I think of heroin, I think of River Phoenix who died outside of Johnny Depp’s bar in Hollywood; or Janis Joplin.  I never thought that heroin could strike people in little bitty towns in Southwest Missouri. Well, guess what? It’s here and it’s big.

Heroin addiction is growing and growing and growing. Almost every one of the mother’s in a support group I belong to, have children addicted to heroin. It starts usually with a pain pill addiction and it moves on to heroin. It starts with a pill and ends with a needle. The rush to get “more” becomes greater priority than anything else. Now, they are adding fentanyl to it?  How scary is that? Educate yourself on fentanyl. It is a drug that is 100 times more powerful than morphine. It’s used primarily to treat cancer patients. People are stealing these medications from the elderly or the sick or sometimes people who are on substantial pain medications sell them to our children. That’s right. There are people, who tell their doctor that they need such medications for pain and instead of taking them, they SELL THEM TO OUR CHILDREN. So now people are mixing fentanyl and heroin for a “mad rush that is like no other.” It’s crazy, isn’t it?  It’s addiction at its worst level.

What would you do if you found out someone were selling your child heroin? I noticed today that they have arrested four people in connection with distributing the lethal drugs that killed Seymour Hoffman.  “Interesting”, I thought to myself. It’s amazing when the police can act with such diligence when under the public microscope, isn’t it? How many heroin related arrests have been made in your county? How many people are facing charges? Those statistics would be interesting to know.  I don’t think your child or my child’s life is any less valuable than that of an actor’s life…but I do hope his death provides this nation with the education that we need and have ignored. Pay attention to your children and their friends. Pay attention to adults who befriend them for no particular reason. Pay attention to the people who have added your children on Facebook and pay attention to the predators who are out there stalking your children to hook them with a deadly dose of addiction. Pay attention to their grades and their social rings and pay attention to their eyes, their complexions, their weight, their hygiene and mostly, talk to them and educate them about the risks all around them that you think they will never have to face. I think you will be surprised if you were to ask your child, "Have you ever been offered a pain pill?"  Or "Do you know anyone that takes pain pills?" See if they will educate you. If they start talking, you should listen and take mental notes. The very people that they know that are participating in that kind of behavior now, could be your child's "friend" tomorrow.

Educate yourselves...please

5 comments:

  1. Thanks Stephanie! So many parents say not my kid! They don't want to believe their kid would do these things when in reality it can happen to anyones child. It doesn't matter how much money you have, what church you go to or ethnic dack ground you are from. It can happen! Know the signs! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As our family knows, it happens to anyone, no discrimination, no bias, no person is safe from this epidemic. Education and diligence are strong weapons and if only one life is saved by your blog, it's worth it. Hugs and prayers to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea heroine was big in jomo! And what is fentenyl? My god I need to start paying attention to this stuff more! I've heard Molly is easy and cheap to get ahold of...and very dangerous. I'm just sick about this information...you'd think we were living in NYC with the drugs we are talking about here. Where is it coming from and how? Having an almost 13 yr old daughter keeps me up at night with future worry. Keep informing us Steph. Much of this I didn't know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fentanyl usually comes in a patch. Addicts have figured out a way to get the substance off the patch and smoke it, shoot it all sorts of things. It's scary. I have a friend who just lost her brother in September of an overdose and the toxicology reports showed he had fentanyl in his system. To this day, they have no idea how he got ahold of that kind of powerful drug and would like to know. It's scary. Very scary. To mix it with heroin can be lethal, as we are seeing.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for writing this blog Stephanie. It is not only eloquently written in a honest account of the 'truth' that our society likes to sweep under the rug, it has also been therapeutic for me as well. It brought back many of my memories of the alcoholism that I struggled with as a young teen until I became pregnant with my twin daughters it has also helped with the struggles our family is currently going through with my step-nephew who lives in Columbia with my brother in law.

    Until my brother in law (who is an anesthesiologist btw, which helps substantiate your point that addiction can and does occur in any economical part of society) told me recently that his step son is able to obtain a 'hit' of heroin for $6, yes...you read that correctly---SIX lousy bucks can buy our children a high, I had NO idea that heroin was so easily obtainable. I had always thought of it as a more costly drug that was hard to get a hold of. Reading your blog has been eye opening as a parent to know that my nephew isn't the only young person in this area affected by this. It has also made me re-think about things to watch out for as my 2 younger children begin to enter their teenage/young adult years.
    So, for this, I thank you. Thank you for sharing your story and I KNOW that it WILL help others who read or share it. Best of luck to you and your family as you continue on. Bless you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete