Saturday, March 26, 2016

The Face of Addiction

I posted a picture on my Facebook page of some local young men and women who either passed away due to drugs, and are battling drugs. I used a photo collage of two young people from Joplin, 1 from Carl Junction and 4 from Webb City. The reason I had so many from Webb City is because those are the kids and families I know well enough to ask permission. I have had messages from people all day from Joplin, Carl Junction, Branson, Seneca, Neosho, Carthage....it just goes on and on. In one day, that post was viewed by almost 40,906 people and shared 371 times. The reason I did it was to show that these are REAL families and every day faces--not the stigma of the "junkie" image you see on tv. Of course these kids have all looked like hell at times--rail thin, sick, track marks, and sadly, every boy in the photo has died. The girls are all still living. I'll be honest and let you know that the Cards Chanter is my own daughter.

I am working on designing posters for schools that personalize the message with faces from their town. I believe it needs to be seen. I believe it can be a powerful anti-drug campaign. Who better to tell the stories of addiction than the real people who have lived and died by their addiction. I know seeing those beautiful faces hurts. I want those who are staring at those familiar faces to think about their own path. I want to get in the brain of every vulnerable kid who may now stop and think "This is not worth trying even once." I want to get in the brain of the kids who feel like they are alone and have no one to turn to-- I will help you find help. I want to wake up the parents who believe their perfect children are immune. I assure you that your child is not made of steel. They must be made aware that they can't take the risk-- don't try that first pill---don't listen to those who try to steer you wrong.

These faces are real and addiction is real. I have had more messages today from people reaching out for help--and I will try to post some contact numbers of services and agencies that can help. There are several organizations that can help. Help is out there and I don't mean help at the wacky methadone clinic. The troubling stories about that place have made me sick. I think Randy Turner needs to take a break from his Joplin Schools issues and focus on the absolute and utter scam of the drug pushing methadone clinic. I believe our courts need to re-think this issue as being an "accepted plan of treatment." We aren't fixing the problem.

I heard from people that sold my daughter heroin, people that had no idea she was an addict and people who just want to help others. So many stories, so many faces. The stories vary but the hell is the same. I truly believe that we are making a difference speaking out. I think that erasing the stigma, stereotypes and showing the faces of the ones we loved and love so much, can help that 13 year old getting pressured to "just try it" and can make parents more aware of the old creeps stalking students and can maybe make that 20-25 year old realize they want the new beginning.

I will be posting more and hopefully each person's story after I talk to each family in depth.

You need to see their faces. They are OUR children. Together we can make a difference.


No comments:

Post a Comment